In cable pulling equipment for the electric, telecommunications, and related industries, rollers are used to either support the line being installed, or for directional changes to protect the line from damage.
These include support blocks (or tandem “Bogies”), snatch blocks, corning arrays/quadrants, and the boom point roller-type sheaves on a variety of stringing equipment extensions (including digger derrick roller-type boom point sheaves).
These parts were initially made of steel or aluminum, but corrosion damaged lines and safety concerns due to part weight led to changes. Rubber and urethane rollers have been used, but they have limitations caused by weathering, chemical attack, and wear.
Cast nylon offers an excellent combination of properties for these roller applications:
- Lightweight (1/7 that of steel, 1/3 that of aluminum)
- Increased safety for workers due to weight reduction
- Excellent strength-to-weight ratio
- Excellent wear resistance – does not corrode
- Very good UV/ weather resistance (does not crack or become brittle)
- Excellent chemical resistance to lubricants
- Will not damage the line being handled/installed
WS Hampshire has extensive experience assisting utility equipment OEM’s with design for optimal performance and cost-effective manufacturing.
POPULAR WEAR PAD MATERIALS SUPPLIED BY TIMCO INCLUDE:
Cast Nylon 6
Standard, heat stabilized, MoS2 filled, oil-filled, internally lubricated, FDA compliant and premium wear grades available for a broad variety of wear pad applications.
Nylon 6/12 with metal core for high load requirements and driven gears.
When chemical/water resistance is required.
Higher hardness and low absorption are required.
For lower load requirements and low water absorption.
Various inserts available in wheels and rollers.
BENEFITS OF USING TIMCO TECHNICAL THERMOPLASTIC WHEELS AND ROLLERS
- Wear Resistance
- Protection of the running surface
- Motion and Noise Dampening
- Resistance Against Corrosive Influences
- Economical Production