In cable pulling equipment for the electric, telecommunications, and related industries, rollers are used to either support the line being installed, or for directional changes to protect the line from damage. These include support blocks (or tandem “Bogies”), snatch blocks, corning arrays/quadrants, and the boom point roller-type sheaves on a variety of stringing equipment extensions (including digger derrick roller-type boom point sheaves).
These parts were initially made of steel or aluminum, but corrosion damaged lines and safety concerns due to part weight led to changes. Rubber and urethane rollers have been used, but they have limitations caused by weathering, chemical attack, and wear.
Cast nylon offers an excellent combination of properties for these roller applications:
- Lightweight (1/7 that of steel, 1/3 that of aluminum)
- Increased safety for workers due to weight reduction
- Excellent strength-to-weight ratio
- Excellent wear resistance – does not corrode
- Very good UV/ weather resistance (does not crack or become brittle)
- Excellent chemical resistance to lubricants
- Will not damage the line being handled/installed
WS Hampshire has extensive experience assisting utility equipment OEM’s with design for optimal performance and cost-effective manufacturing.