In manufacturing projects, there a no shortage of options at your disposal to get your projects completed. Thermoplastics are one of the most popular materials to work with due to their pliability at high temperatures, versatility within high-stress applications, and recyclability.
Properties of Thermoplastic Materials
Thermoplastics have a high molecular weight which weakens when introduced to high temperatures. In this state, they can be reshaped are generally used various polymer processing techniques such as:
- Machining from stock shapes (sheet, rod, tube)
Advantages for Using Thermoplastic Materials
- High Impact applications — Their molecular qualities make them ideal for application areas that require high-stress resistance and strength.
- Ideal for Prototyping — After the prototype has been tested, thermoplastics can be melted and re-molded for another production run.
- Reusability — Thermoplastic materials can be recovered and re-melted for future use.
- Higher-yield material — Due to their recoverability, you will see a high piece yield from your overall stock of material.
- Chemical-resistance — Due to its higher level of chemical resistance, this plastic is ideal for medical materials and devices and also other areas where chemical exposure can occur, and protection is needed.
- Recyclability — Due to their ease of melting, thermoplastic materials are suitable for recycling.
Different Types of Thermoplastics
- PEI Polyetherimide
- PEEK Polyetheretherketone
- PTFE Polytetrafluoroethylene
- PAI Polyyamide-imide
- Extruded Nylons
- Cast Nylons
- Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (ABS)
- Acrylic (142)
- High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
- High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS)
- Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
Common Applications for Thermoplastics Materials
Industrial applications that are ideal for thermoplastics are:
- Sheaves for Heavy Equipment Industry
- Wear Pads
- Bearings and Bushings
- Sealing Solutions
- Cable Pulling/ Tensioning Rollers
- Outrigger pads and Cribbing Plates
- Thrust Collars, Table Rolls, Filler plates for Steel Mill Industry
Contact WS Hampshire To Learn More About Using Thermoplastics
W.S. Hampshire, Inc. is a full line custom fabricator and supplier of non-metallic materials to include electrical & industrial papers and films along with thermoplastics, thermosets, and a variety of industrial phenolics, thermal boards, and composite plastics.