CABLE PULLING/ TENSIONING ROLLERS
In cable pulling equipment for the electric, telecommunications, and related industries, structures with rollers are used to either support the “line: being installed, or for directional changes to protect the line from damage. These include support blocks (or tandem “Bogies”), snatch blocks, corning arrays/quadrants, and the boom point roller-type sheaves on a variety of stringing equipment extensions (including digger derrick roller-type boom point sheaves).
Initially made of steel and then aluminum, due to corrosion in service the rollers can damage the line and are heavy to haul to address these issues, both rubber and urethane rollers have been used, but they have limitations due to limited resistance to weathering, chemical attack, and wear.
Cast nylon offers an excellent combination of properties for these roller applications:
- Lightweight (1/7 that of steel, 1/3 that of aluminum)
- Increased safety for workers due to weight reduction
- Excellent strength-to-weight ratio
- Excellent wear resistance – does not corrode
- Very good UV/ weather resistance (does not crack or become brittle)
- Excellent chemical resistance to lubricants, ETC typically seen at job sites
- Does not damage the line being handled/installed
- Cost-effective (depending on volume, can be made by a variety of processes)
WS Hampshire has extensive experience assisting utility equipment OEM’s with design for optimal performance and cost-effective manufacturing.
POPULAR WEAR PAD MATERIALS SUPPLIED BY TIMCO INCLUDE:
- Cast Nylon 6
Standard, heat stabilized, MoS2 filled, oil-filled, internally lubricated, FDA compliant and premium wear grades available for a broad variety of wear pad applications.
Nylon 6/12 with metal core for high load requirements and driven gears.
When chemical/water resistance is required.
Higher hardness and low absorption are required.
For lower load requirements and low water absorption.
Various inserts available in wheels and rollers.
BENEFITS OF USING TIMCO WHEELS AND ROLLERS
- Wear Resistance
- Protection of the running surface
- Motion and Noise Dampening
- Resistance Against Corrosive Influences
- Economical Production